Friday, July 23, 2010

Thoughts on Excess and Cucumbers

Last night, in lieu of sleep, I was laying in bed contemplating excess. How much of our lives are lead in the pursuit of things? Things, which bring fleeting joy. We all know it is true, yet it does not deter our conceentrated pursuit of more. And, why are we not concerned with our excess? How much do we really need? Lately, I have been feeling like all those little extras are slowing drowning me.

So, how do we rid ourselves of excess? Personally, I would like to start with my tupperware cabinet. Everytime I open that cabinet tupperware falls out all over the floor. I can't find lids that match bottoms; I can't find anything in that cabinet. So, what do I do? I use a baggie or plastic wrap. A whole cabinet filled with things that I cannot use nor part with. Why can't I part with my overabundance of tupperware? Do I have some genetic flaw? Well, that is a good question.

No, I will tell you why. The reason is that my husband and I disagree on excess. I would like to rid our house of all that is useless and joy depleting. However, my husband is a conservationist and believes that all should be saved for some greater purpose down the road.

So, what does this have to do with cucumbers? Well, I planted cucumbers this year and the plant is thriving. Each day I am blessed with more cucumbers. I am not sure what I will do with all the cucumbers. I will probably can them. Anyway, my point is that each cucumber is a gift from that plant. Each cucumber brings me joy, because my family and I cared for and nutured that plant. We dedicated our time to caring for nature/life and we have been rewarded with abundance.

If we must have excess, should we not try to achieve an excess of cucumbers...

No comments:

Post a Comment