Friday, August 12, 2011

Unextreme Couponing

Here is an example of my unextreme couponing strategy:

Publix
- List of items for this week:
Organic Romaine Hearts
Organic Celery
Smart Balance Spread
Orville's Natural Popcorn- 3 large boxes
Riceworks Chips- 2 bags
Tic Tac Big Box
Wheat Egg Noodles- 4 bags
Organic Frozen Veggies- 2 bags
Lara Bars- 2 bars
Cheez It
Soft Scrub
Chef Boyardi- 4 cans
Publix Cream of Chicken- 2 cans
Hunts Pudding- 2 pks
Hunt's Ketchup- 2
Frescheta Pizzas- 2
Chips Ahoy- 4 pks
Green Beans- 2 cans
Publix Pie Shell
Publix Coleslaw
Wheat Pitas- 2 pks
Turkey Kiebasa
Corn- 2 cans
Peter Pan Huge Jar
House Plants- 5 (my huband had to have some new ones)
$50 BP Gift Card

Total $110.32 (after $26.98 in coupons)
Paid $20 with rebate gift card from ConAgra
=$90.32
-$40 for $50 BP Giftcard (had $10 off coupon)(does not go against grocery budget)
=$50.32
-$10 for my husband's plants (does not go against grocery budget)

=$40.32 Total for groceries at Publix
Will be submitting a rebate for $15 to ConAgra. So, the total really is $25.32, but I count it as $40.32 for this budget week.


So, I know you are thinking. But, where is the food to make full meals? I buy the sale items that I will use at Publix each week on Wednesday. This allows me to get the penny item for the week. I get one coupon circular on Sunday and I do not have a printer. So, once a week I cut coupons. I am definately not an extreme couponer! A successful Publix trip is one in which the total saved is equal to or greater than the total spent. This is a really easy thing to do with some planning.

Aldi
I purchase most of my staple items at Aldi. I generally buy:
Milk- 2 gallons at $2.49 each
Pretzals at $1.20
Saltines- $.79
Fruits & Veggies- There is no place cheaper than Aldi on produce, but the selection is lean.
Whole Wheat Bread- 2 loafs a week at $1.19 each
Eggs- $.99 lately
Mac & Cheese- $.39 a box
Canned Goods

This week I spent $13.19 at Aldi.

Walmart
I buy our meat at Walmart on markdown. Chicken breasts are generally $1.78-1.88 a pound at our Walmart. The rest of our meat is purchased on markdown. Our Walmart marks down meat that is close to the freeze by date. I buy whatever is on markdown and plan my meals around the markdown meat I buy.

This week I spent $14.69 on eight chicken breasts and a package of pork ribs.

So, the total amount spent on groceries this week $68.20. Plus, I will be receiving a rebate for $15 from ConAgra. Not too bad for a family of four!

No comments:

Post a Comment