Monday, August 8, 2011

"Walden" Lite

Walden by Henry David Thoreau is one of my all time favorite books. At the library the other day I happened upon a book in the children's section called "Thoreau at Walden" by John Porcellino. It is associated with the Center for Cartoon Studies. I picked it up thinking... Ahhh.... This will be a great introduction to Walden for my boys. Well, this book far exceeded my expectations! I love it!

It is in comic book format with simple drawings that really express the feel of Walden. It contains Thoreau's most quoted or vital ideas from Walden. I have found myself reading it over and over. I just can not get enough of this book. It is suggested for grades 8-12, but I read it to Connor yesterday (age 7) and with some explanation he was enjoying it with me.

If you want to give your child a gentle introduction to Thoreau, this book is the way to go. You can check it out on Amazon in the bargain section. I am ordering my own copy right now...


No comments:

Post a Comment